Be Our Friend
OperaUpClose needs you!
We do not receive regular funding, so we rely on box office sales and generous support from members of the public who share our artistic vision and believe in our work.
This year we have produced 3 new productions: Poulenc's La Voix Humaine, Mozart's The Magic Flute and Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin at the Arcola Theatre to open on 22 November, as well as touring La Traviata, Carmen, La Bohème and The Barber of Seville to theatres all over the country.
Behind the scenes, we pride ourselves on developing the careers of artists and creatives both on and off the stage. Not only do we provide performers with the opportunity to tackle new roles in a supportive environment, but recent graduates from our trainee director and producer programmes have gone on to work for companies such as the Royal Opera House and the RSC. Further still, our annual Flourish new opera writing competition also discovers and showcases the future of opera.
We’re developing our community programme, with workshops for teenagers exploring the themes and music of The Magic Flute and lots of activity for younger children around Ulla’s Odyssey. We’re also committed to keeping our prices down so that exciting music theatre is accessible to everyone. Even when our shows sell out (as, thanks to our audiences, they often do) we still need to raise £130,000 every year just to survive.
That’s why we’d like you to join our Friends & Patrons scheme. You’ll have the chance to become more involved with the work we do and enjoy special benefits. As well as priority booking, Friends and Patrons receive invitations to events including pre-show talks with the directors, orchestrators and musical directors; post-show receptions with the singers; and sneak previews of set designs and production plans.
If you would like to get closer to our work, while helping us continue to produce high-quality opera at affordable prices, there are a number of ways to do so:
Become a Friend
- Our regular audience updates
- Our quarterly NewsUpClose Friends' & Patrons' newsletter, from the Artistic Director
- Acknowledgement on our website
- Priority ticket booking in advance of the general public
- Invitations to Friends' events, including 'tasters' of productions
Become a Patron - Key to the stage Door
Receive all of the above, plus:
- Acknowledgement in our programmes
- A complimentary programme for every new OperaUpClose production, on request at the theatre
- Invitations to exclusive Patrons' events
Become a Patron- Key to the Dressing Room
You will receive all of the above, plus:
- A complimentary programme, signed by the librettist, for every OperaUpClose production posted to you
- Invitations to rehearsals
- Opportunities to meet the cast
- Reserved area of theatre bar for interval drinks*
Become a Patron- Key to the Opera House
Receive all of the above, plus:
- Invitations to meet the Artistic Director and Production teams
- Drinks with the cast after performances
- Reserved seats for any OperaUpClose performance**
- 'House' seats for any sold out performances**
* at Soho Theatre (at other venues when possible)
** on request
Gift Aid your donation
Would you like to Gift Aid your donation? If you are a UK taxpayer, simply download and complete this Gift Aid Declaration and Gift Aid will be applied to all donations we receive from you from now on.