Stage Management Job Description
Productions: Various (touring)
Length of engagement: from January 2017
Job title: Stage Managers
Location: Should be based in London but the job is on tour.
Olivier Award-winning OperaUpClose are looking for Stage Managers (SM) to ensure the smooth running of our touring productions in 2017.
The SM will work with a Technical and/or Assistant Stage Manager on all shows apart from Opera Cocktail and Ulla’s Odyssey. On tour the SM will be expected to assist with the van loading, unloading and driving responsibilities; be responsible for the Get In (fit-up, LX focus and technical rehearsal) and the Get Out; operate and call the show from the lighting desk. The venues will have pre-rigged, so on tour the SM is only expected to supervise the focus, with the assistance of the venue technicians.
The SM is also responsible for providing the Producer with a show report 24 hours after the performance.
La Bohème 20 Jan Oxford Playhouse 8.00pm
Carmen* 24 Jan Lancaster Grand 7.30pm
Carmen* 25 Jan Oldham Coliseum 7.30pm
Ulla’s Odyssey 2 Feb Redbridge Drama Centre 1.30pm & 4.45pm
La Bohème 9-11 Feb mac Birmingham 7.30pm (3 performances)
Ulla’s Odyssey 12 Feb Rich Mix 2pm
Carmen 16 Feb Malvern Theatres 7.30pm
Opera Cocktail 17 Feb Theatre Royal BSE 7.30pm
Ulla’s Odyssey 19 Feb artsdepot 3pm
La Traviata 8 & 9 Mar CAST 7.30pm (2 performances)
Ulla’s Odyssey 22 Mar The Stables 1pm
La Bohème 26 Mar Harrogate Theatre 7.30pm
Ulla’s Odyssey 27-30 Mar Belgrade Theatre Various (5 performances)
La Traviata 7 & 8 Apr Northcott Theatre 7.30pm (2 performances)
Opera Cocktail 13 Apr Tivoli Theatre 7.30pm
Opera Cocktail 28 Apr Redbridge Drama Centre 7.30pm
Ulla’s Odyssey 30 Apr Greenwich Theatre 1pm & 6pm
Ulla’s Odyssey 7 May mac Birmingham 2pm & 6pm
*The SM would need to manage both performances of Carmen on 24/25 Jan
- Full UK, clean driving license held for min. 2 years
- Over 23 years old (for van hire purposes)
- At least 1-year professional Stage Management experience
- Touring experience (particularly opera)
- Score reading to excellent ability
- Re-lighting a production on tour (Excellent understanding of LX Plans, Focus Notes, Cue Sheets)
- General understanding of lighting desks
- Basic understanding of lighting desk
- Calling and operating a show
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent people and leadership skills
- Stamina for working long hours (as on tour)
- Hard-working and reliable
- First Aid training
- Experience of driving a van (any size between a Transit and a Luton)
OperaUpClose is an ambitious, Olivier Award-winning opera company, producing innovatively staged, unintimidating, affordable and - crucially - high quality English chamber re-imaginings of well-known works and premieres of new operas. We are an associate company of Soho Theatre and co-produce with the Belgrade Theatre Coventry, Tricycle Theatre, Kings Place and Malmö Opera (Sweden). We tour across the UK as well as some international engagements.
Click here for more information about the company and productions.
Please send your CV and appropriate references to Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org before 9am Thursday 15 December. Please note we will be contacting people as and when they get in touch.