Programming & Marketing Officer
Be part of "an artistic revolution" (Sunday Times), making “honest, unpretentious, intelligent” (Independent) opera productions. OperaUpClose is seeking a keen programmer, confident negotiator and experienced marketer to join the team, to help us grow the company’s touring output.
Working from offices in London you’ll be part of a small team dedicated to touring high quality opera across the UK and beyond. You will be responsible for creating new relationships with theatres and festivals, programming our productions in those venues, then working with the venue team to ensure strong sales for our performances. You will also support the Producer with programming at our current tour venues, further developing these relationships and marketing our productions, to ensure we continue to develop audiences for opera. This is an ideal role for an emerging opera/ theatre professional, with one-to-one training, scope for professional development and the possibility of a more permanent role with the company at the end of the initial engagement.
This position is generously supported by the John Ellerman Foundation.
Salary: £20,000 p.a.
Contract: This is a full-time, fixed term contract for nine months (with the possibility of extending the role beyond this).
Applications: Application is by cover letter and CV. Your cover letter should be no more than one page of A4, and should describe why you are interested in the role, how you match the job description and what skills and experience you have that make you suitable for it. Please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, with ‘Programming & Marketing Officer Application’ as the subject line.
Deadline for applications: 10am on Monday 11 December 2017.
Interviews: Thursday 14 December 2017.
Programming & Marketing Officer
Purpose of role
To ensure that OperaUpClose reaches new audiences across the UK, with its high quality opera productions.
Scope of role
The Programming & Marketing Officer is responsible for creating and developing relationships with venues that have yet to programme OperaUpClose’s work, and securing performances of our productions at those venues. The Programming & Marketing Officer will collaborate with the marketing, press and community departments of those venues, in order to ensure that we are attracting strong audiences, with a particular focus on audiences that are new to opera. You will also support the Producer with programming at our current tour venues, further developing these relationships and marketing our productions, to ensure we continue to develop audiences for opera. This is an ideal role for an emerging opera / theatre professional, with scope for professional development and the possibility of a more permanent role with the company at the end of the initial engagement.
Engagement and Salary
Full-time, for a fixed term contract of nine months. Salary is £20,000 per annum.
- Research performing arts venues and festivals that OperaUpClose has not visited
- Arrange and hold meetings with the senior management of those venues/festivals
- Share information on OperaUpClose’s vision; specifics of our productions; and previous successes
- Negotiate a mutually satisfactory deal to bring our productions to new venues
- Support the Producer with programming OperaUpClose at regular tour venues
- Support the Producer with contracts between OperaUpClose and all tour venues
Marketing and Audience Development
- Support the Producer with marketing duties including but not limited to copy writing, print design and distribution, advertising, social media
- Hold weekly conversations with the marketing, press and community engagement representative of all venues booked, in order to share best practice from OperaUpClose’s previous touring engagements
- Understand from the venue local groups that are likely to be new to opera, and conceive and implement strategies to bring them to our productions
- Circulate weekly sales reports and marketing activity to the OperaUpClose management team
- Work with the venues’ box office teams to collect data on audiences in order to measure our success against targets for ‘new to opera’ audiences
- Prepare a strong case for rebooking to the venue managers, based on factual evidence including sales figures, audience data and audience feedback, and negotiate terms for a rebooking
- Experience of arts administration, theatre management or producing, either in a professional organisation
- Experience of touring theatre or opera productions
- Arts marketing experience
- Familiarity with production budgets
- Some experience in a sales/retail role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Good level of financial skills
- An overall knowledge of the operational requirements of a touring theatre / opera company
- Excellent team-working skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work to deadlines
- An understanding and appreciation of OperaUpClose’s work
- A passion for opera, theatre and the arts
- A working knowledge of the arts sector
- A working knowledge of UK geography
- Friendly, efficient and helpful attitude
- Highly organised and self-motivating